A value- and content-driven audio tour of Shadow Cliffs Park, read by elementary school-age children, with written text + visual supplements (PDF) in English and Spanish.
CURRICULUM MODULE EXAMPLE
"History of the Park"
Theme: Resources, Community
Domain: Environmental Conservation
Content Form: Audio, PDF Worksheet
Content Standard, Language Arts: Describe how grants and donations helped create Shadow Cliffs Park;
Content Standard, Science: N / A
Narrative (from KQED article & EBRPD website):
A long time ago, Shadow Cliffs was undeveloped land around the banks of the Arroyo Del Valle. Starting in 1923, Kaiser Industries turned Shadow Cliffs into a gravel quarry. It was mined for river gravel until 1971, when Kaiser donated the quarry to the East Bay Regional Park District. The District then turned the land into a park.
Shortly after, the park and the land was assessed at a value of $250,000, and received a grant from the U.S. Bureau of Outdoor Recreation. With this grant, the Park District developed the 266-acre park, including the 80-acre lake, parking for visitors, facilities for people with disabilities, and picnic grounds.
The park is now used by thousands of residents for swimming, boating, and enjoying nature.